Monday, September 2, 2013

1st Baptism commitment, looking forward to next week & sunrise hike :)

I hope everyone is doing good!! It has been a crazy, eventful week. Thanks for all of your emails, its great to hear from you guys. I sent a letter yesterday with some stuff I forgot last email, it should be there soon. The work is going amazing. Elder Macfarlane and I extended our first baptismal commitment together to one of our investigators. It was really powerful. He has a date set to be baptized on September 28th. Elder Macfarlane is from Orem, Utah. He is great guy, a great trainer, he really pushes me to do my best. The spanish is going okay, I am understanding more and more, but I mostly speak portuguese to the investigators and if they dont understand fully Elder Macfarlane will translate. Since I have been speaking portuguese so much it really has been improving, which is so awesome. I was scared that I would loose a lot of it being in the states. This morning our district woke up at 4am and all met and climbed about a 1.5 mile trail to the top of a mountain and saw the sunrise. That was really early, but really cool. I'll send some pictures of it. We had a pretty cool teaching experience with a potential investigator last night. It was my first time meeting with her and only the second for Elder Macfarlane and it had been 2 weeks since the last visit, so we weren't exactly sure what to expect. In the beginning of the lesson, she basically dropped us and said she wasn't interested and didn't see why the Book of Mormon is necessary but would just listen to this lesson. So it was a rough start but the lesson turned out to be really good. Out of no where I had an idea to explain the Book of Mormon and a certain verse we were reading by comparing it to cooking food and a recipe. You can't make something delicious without following the directions. The Book of Mormon and the verse we read in Moroni  chapter 10, where there are instructions to growing closer to Heavenly Father. After that something clicked in her, her whole countenance changed and she committed to read and pray about it everyday. It was a really cool experience. I had never thought of that before, it was really neat. It has been really awesome to get to know the ward, they are all super nice and feed us some gooood mexican food, haha. It's Cabos every night, haha. (Cabos is his favorite Mexican restaurant near us) They aren't near as many members in the latin community but it's starting to really grow. Elder Neil L Anderson (One of the 12 Apostles) is coming to speak to the mission next week, we also get to go to the Mesa temple, so that is going to be an amazing week. I can't wait to meet and shake his hand. It has been nice seeing Elder Papworth often, I also got to see Elder Neu and McStraw at Zone conference, which was cool. They are all doing really well. I'll write a letter to you guys in the middle of the week from now on so I dont forget anything. Thanks so much for the package, that was a great surprise. I especially liked all the letters and pictures. They were sure nice. Really like the tie too. Tell all the girls and Solo hey and I love them. Take some pictures of Solo at a baseball game sometime. I miss that boy. I hope everyone has a great week!!
 
Eu sei que a igreja é verdadeira. Gosto de servir a Jesus Cristo. Eu amo Jesus Cristo, ele é meu tudo e minha luz. Adoro as escrituras, especialmente o Livro de Mórmon. Eu amo vocês!
Translation:
I know the church is true. I love to serve Jesus Christ. I love Jesus Christ, he is my all and my light. I love the scriptures, especially the Book of Mormon. I love you guys!!
Elder Mountain 
 
 
Sunrise hike.
 
Elder Mountain & Elder MacFarlane on morning hike.
 
House that he lives in.

                                                        Nate with goodies from his Aunt Kathi :)
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment